While grocery shopping last week, I saw the first hint of spring pop up in the produce aisle. Watermelons. Of course, I couldn’t resist as just thinking of them makes my mouth water and since my 3 year old has an insatiable sweet tooth, I decided to whip up a healthy sweet treat: watermelon sorbet. It’s sweet, indulgent and secretly healthy. So, what’s not to love.
Recipe brought to you by: Sulpice Better Bites - Healthy Sweet Snacks
- 3 cups watermelon chunks, no seeds, about ½ small watermelon
- ½ cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (optional)
- Cut half of a small watermelon into chunks. Spread out on a sheet pan being careful not to let the chunks touch. Freeze. (keeping the chunks separate makes it easier to separate and blend the frozen watermelon. If the chunks freeze together it is very difficult to separate the chunks.)
- After the watermelon is frozen, put the half the chunks into a blender capable of crushing ice. A food processor may also work.
- Add the yogurt and lemon juice if desired.
- Blend until smooth. Add the rest of the watermelon. Don’t overblend or the watermelon can get runny.
- Serve immediately.
inspired by: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014901-watermelon-sorbet
Photo credit: flickr user star5112